Happy Wednesday MTG peeps,
It is Wednesday which means it's not that far off to the Avacyn Restored prerelease events this weekend. As early as midnight this Friday, Magic the Gathering players will be descending upon their local games stores and start cracking open those new packs of cards. Today's post, we want to take the opportunity to provide some pointers to newer players attending their first (or second prerelease event).
Although we've been going to prereleases every since Lorwyn, we somehow still seem to forget some of the bascis - we'll put that down to being overly excited getting fresh cardboard in our hand in anticipation of slinging all the new coolness on the game table. Anwyhoos, here is a brief summary of of what WoTC staffer Steve Sadin had provided on the Mothersite today in his article 'Gearing up for Avacyn Restored' . . .
• Make sure to call ahead and preregister for the Prerelease!
• Avacyn Restored is a standalone Limited set
• Play forty cards!
• Play two colors or two colors with a light third-color splash.
• Play 17–18 lands.
• If you're playing any miracle cards, keep your hand and the first card you draw each turn completely separate from one another (until you know it isn't a miracle card).
• Understanding soulbond - Whenever a creature with soulbond enters the battlefield, you can choose to pair it with another unpaired creature that you control. But you don't have to pair it immediately. Because whenever any creature enters the battlefield, if you have any unpaired soulbond creatures you may pair one of them with your new creature.
• Liabilities - Be careful not to include too many (or any) cards that require a specific set of circumstances for them to be relevant.
• Make sure your deck has a plan - No matter what you end up playing this weekend, make sure you can envision a way that you're going to win.
~MTG Realm will be heading to OMG! Games & Collectibles here in Barrie, Ontario (Sunday) who will hosting a number of Avacyn Restored Prerelease event. Entry fee is $35 - you get SIX Avacyn Restored boosters in which to construct a 40-card deck, a foil prerelease promo card, and a shot at winning prizes. Start times are as follows:
Saturday 28th April :
Friday Midnight / 10:00 AM / 2:30 PM (Helvault release) / 7:00 PM
Sunday 29th April :
11:00 AM (Helvault release) / 4:00 PM (2-Headed Giant format)
Contact the store for more details -
OMG! Games and Collectibles
130 Bell Farm Rd
(705) 721-GAME (4263)
Finally, the folks over at MTG Mint Card is running a contest with a pretty cool giveaway . . .