Today, we want to provide our unbiased review for the hand-made Loki Deck Box from Asgard Gear. We've been rocking with this box for about a week now and have traveled with it from our lair thrice to develop an opinion.
• Exterior Casing - material is natural wood - specifically Walnut. We've exposed the box to our regular use and have certainly Rustled the Jimmies. The shell is solid, durable and has not scuffed or taken on any visible signs of wear.
• Joints - Not that that kind. Given the thickness of wood, through dovetail joints are not very practical, so Asgard Gear went with box joints. All joints have wood adhesive and we're impressed with the work with the tricky work required for clamping.
• Finish - Tung Oil. Walnut is a beautiful wood but unless it gets appropriate finishing, it could look just kinda meh. Tung oil makes the lovely grain here just pop. Benjamin Moore has been producing Tung Oil (from the Chinese Vernicia fordii tree seed_ since about the 1930's. In our opinion, this environmentally considerate oil delivers the very best finish availble.
• Interior Casing - Acrylic plastic. Perfect choice of material to protect cards, sleeved or not, from acquiring any undesirable wear. Sleeved cards fit perfectly and slide out easily like snot on hot glass.
• Closure - Separate flush-fitting top sliding closure secured with two neodymium magnets. These rare earth magnets provide a strong fastening. we could not get the lid dislodged with a highly scientific drop test from the height of a gaming table. We have preference to mag closures over exterior clasps which are more prone to damage.
• The Asgard Gear Loki holds our sleeved 100-card Commander decklist perfectly. At the moment, it is holding our Emmara Tandris list and the literal crap-ton of tokens this list generates - beasts, snakes, saprolings and elves are all house comfortable inside and perhaps there is a comparative to Doctor Who's TARDIS somewhere here.
This is a great deck box and we love the look of it. The price for the Deck Box is about what we would expect to pay for a high quality card storage box. We do not have any complaints at all but would suggest that Asgard Gear should consider looking into offering gamers the opportunity personalise the deck box with their name, deck name or perhaps even a simple graphic.
This weekend at the Magic: the Gathering - Aether Revolt PreRelease at OMG! Games here in Barrie, Ontario, there are a number of very cool random prizes up for grabs including the Asgard Gear Loki Deck Box. There will be draws every event for free entries to regular weekly events at the store, as well as a chance to win an Aether Revolt Planeswalker Deck (2 available), and the Deck Box.
OMG! Games will be running events all weekend long -
• Saturday - 12:00 am (Friday Midnight), 10:00 am, 3:00 pm, and 7:30 pm
• Sunday - 11:00 am, and 4:00 pm (Two-Headed Giant)