~So - it was interesting that only on Monday this week we saw the Arcana post at Wizards on the very beautiful looking alternate art mox that was done by Volkan Baga AND then we hear (not confirmed just yet) rumours that Ultra-Pro is planning to run a contest to promote a limited print run of deck boxes / card sleeves featuring afore-mentioned alternate art.
Here is the skinny from ManaNation :
This promotion is similar to the Magic 15th Anniversary/Power 9 promotion which was very successful worldwide!
NOTE: This will be a LIMITED production run. If you do not order, you might not get any.
At this time we are only allowed to show 4 out of the 6 images.
The Mox Diamond will be the Deck Protector (not shown).
* 4-color printed with Gold hotstamp foil Deckbox featuring specially commissioned art of the Original 5 moxes!
* Includes 80 ct. Exclusive Regular Sized Horizontal Deck Protectors of the Mox Diamond art
* Details of the promotion inside each deckbox with up to 250 chances to win!
* LIMITED EDITION
* WORLDWIDE PROMOTION
* Prizes include the Grand Prize of the Black Lotus White Border card in NM/M condition + UltraPRO products + Limited Edition Numbered Mox Play Mat and other prizes such as the Mox Sapphire White Border (NM/M) card and Mox Jet White Border (NM/M) card, and more!
* Winners will be drawn on or around 2/1/11
No images of the Ultra-Pro products yet, so here are the alternate arts for the Moxes . . .
~Well, we estimate the value of the Black Lotus to be around $600 or more, the Mox Jet around $400, and the Mox Sapphire to be around $500 or so. This makes the contest pretty much kick-butt in our opinion and we will feed ya more details as they become available.
~Righto - so - if you are unaware as to what the mox are and why they are sooo expensive - here's some background . . .
In Magic: The Gathering, the Power Nine are nine rare cards found in the Alpha, Beta, and Unlimited sets, and are widely considered to be the most powerful cards ever printed. In games where they are legal, they play an important role in the competitive tournament atmosphere. However, they are only legal in Vintage in which they are restricted, meaning a deck may not contain more than one copy of the cards. Due to their power, these nine cards are considered "broken" (overwhelmingly powerful).
The Power Nine are:
Ancestral Recall, Black Lotus, Mox Emerald, Mox Jet, Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby, Mox Sapphire, Timetwister, and Time Walk .