Happy Monday MTG peeps,
Today's article is for all those Magic: the Gathering players who fancy playing the tall stacks - Commander, or Elder Dragon Highlander if you are an old-school purist. Today's babble is a run-down of quite possibly the most epic Commander game we've had in a while and featured
RStomp playing a Mono-Black Demon build with Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath as the Commander,
CopySix (yours truly) playing a Green-White Enchantress list with Krond the Dawn-Clad as the Commander.
• RStomp's General, the new Planeswalker Commander from Commander 2014
Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath, 3BB+2: Each opponent loses 1 life. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.−2: Put a 5/5 black Demon creature token with flying onto the battlefield. You lose 2 life.−8: You get an emblem with "1Black, Sacrifice a creature: You gain X life and draw X cards, where X is the sacrificed creature's power."Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath can be your commander.
• CopySix's General - Krond, from the Planechase 2012 Edition.
Krond the Dawn-Clad, GGGWWWLegendary Creature — ArchonFlying, vigilanceWhenever Krond the Dawn-Clad attacks, if it's enchanted, exile target permanent.6/6
Mid-Game Board states
• able to block most threats with Bassara Tower Archer (hexproof, reach) which is enchanted by Pentarch Ward granting protection against Black (rather obviously.
• Sacred Wolf (hexproof) as well as Aura Gnarlid (+1/+1 for each Aura on the battlefield, creatures with power less than Aura Gnarlid's power can't block it).
• Boonweaver Gian tutor for Ancestral Mask, cast and immediately nerf'd with a Go for the Throat.
• Squelching Leeches (power / toughness = # swamps you control which was 6 at the moment) just got nerf'd by Cage of Hands (aura can't attack / block)
• Also in play Vampire Nocturnus (if top card library is black, vamps you control get +2/+1 and flying). Filling out the ranks is Vampire Nighthawk (2/1 flying / lifelink / deathtouch), and Deathgreeter (gaining 1 life whenever a creature dies).
• Commander Ob Nixilis just got cast
CopySix casts Auramancer returning Ancestral Mask, attaches to Aura Gnarlid, which also has Armadillo Cloak on it as well. Eldrazi Conscription TOP DECK (aura +10/+10, 'annihilator 2'), and cast on Bassara Tower Archer.
Aura Gnarlid is a 19/19 ('un-blockable') with Trample and Bassara Tower Archer is a 12/11 'pro-black', attacking for leathal.
Mid-Game Board states
• Ghostly Prison (opponent must pay 2 for each attacking creature they control) down early preventing early life loss.
• Bramble Elemental (generating a 1/1 Saproling token any time an aura is attached to it) generates a number of tokens which get eaten every upkeep by RStomp's Sheoldred, Whispering One.
• Nomad Mythmaker (W, Tap retuning aura in graveyard to play), and a Monstrous Fleecemane Lion also on board.
• Bassara Tower Archer is wearing the Angelic Destiny aura (+4/+4 flying, first strike, Angel creature type) and Krond just gets cast - things are looking up.
• A number of early chump blockers eat the 'yard', with Gravecrawler coming back occasionally.
• Vampire Nocturnus and Crowd of Cinders (P/T = # black permanents you control) fill out the field.
• Halo Hunter gets cast (destroy Angel eotb effect) nerfing Bassara / Angel
• Wurmcoil Engine (6/6 artifact creature which produces two 3/3 wurms - one life link, one deathtouch) is on the field along with Sheoldred.
RStomp casts In Garruk's Wake (one-side board wiper) and is able to get the Sanguine Bond / Exquisite Blood combo out. Gray Merchant of Asphodel gets cast for lethal damage which doesn't even matter due to the wining combo - over the top OP.