Happy Monday MTG peeps,
This coming Labor Day long weekend traditionally marks the end of summer vacation and the start of the academic year for most here in North America. It may also be a fashion faux pas to wear white. Also of note - look for MTG Mint Card to be running an end of Summer Sale very soon. To the folks here at MTG Realm, this weekend delivers perhaps one of the most exciting times of the year to be a Magic: the Gathering player. For the past few years, Wizards of the Coast has kicked off the official 'spoiler season' of the MTG large fall set using the PAX Prime convention held in Seattle. In addition to a number of Magic Tournaments as well as the Community Cup tournament over the course of the weekend there are two particular events which is certain to garner the attention of almost every MTG gamer.
Theros Preview Party - Saturday 30 August 2013 from 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. at the Showbox at The Market. This is an exclusive themed party where a number of new Theros cards will be previewed. As this is a Greek mythology themed set, we fully expect someone to show up to the party in a toga (or more precisely a himation / chiton).
Theros World Building Panel - Sunday 1 September 2013 from 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. at the Kraken Theater part of the PAX Prime venue. This is where Wizards of the Coast staffers present and respond to questions about the setting / flavor of the new block.
• A 3/3 with three abilities that uses fate counters
• Multiple cards with the word "non-gorgon"
• A high-profile cycle of legendary permanents that are not creatures or lands
• A rare card with five words of rules text in which one of the words is "planeswalker"
• An artifact creature that appears to be a big horse made out of wood
• A 5/5 giant snake that can be cast for gg
• A multicolor Minotaur lord
• A card that could have been in Modern Masters
• A giant that brings fire to humans
• A creature with a saboteur ability (it has an effect if the creature deals combat damage to an opponent) which is one of the Power Nine
• Anger of the Gods
• Chained to the Rocks (a Prometheus reference?)
• Lost in a Labyrinth (a Theseus reference?)
• Rescue from the Underworld (a Orpheus and Eurydice reference)
• Underworld Cereberus (Cerberus guarded the entrance to Hades)
• Witch's Eye (Graeae, stygian witches and sisters to the Gorgons who all shared one eye)
MaRo also dropped some of the creature types you're going to see in Theros:
• Catoblepas (perhaps a bull-like creature with a hog's head)
• Chimera (multi-headed monster)
• Cyclops (one-eyed giants)
• Harpy (human / bird hybrid)
• Hippocamp (sea-goat)
• Hundred-Handed One (nothing said about it's fifty heads?)
• Kraken (giant many-armed sea monster)
• Nymph (Alseid, Dryad, Lampad, Naiad, and Oread)
• Pegasus (horse-fly_
• Satyr (bearded Man-Goat)
• Siren (pleasant voices, killer headache)
• Triton (human-fish hybrid)