Pages

Popular Posts

7.24.2009

Local Game Shop

~
The Local Game Shop

There is something wonderful that stirs deep down inside every time I walk into a game shop. This feeling is something akin to finding your favourite Häagen-Dazs ice cream bar. If you are lactose intolerant, substitute Häagen-Dazs for another suitable confectionery to get my drift.

Anywhoo - when I first started playing Magic The Gathering just over a year ago, I came across a gamery store close to where I live called 'Gamer's Lair'. When I walked in, I got that wonderful feeling described above. Perhaps it was all the cool and curious items filling the shelves or perhaps it was the promise of unplugging and just playing - something which, as an adult, I had not really done for about three decades (yes, I know I'm old).


As I walked through the store, I could hear the lively action of players engaging in their particular games around the corned and knew that stores like these were a focus point for those in the community who knew the value of leisure time and sociable persuits. Soon enough, I had met Doug, the owner. Doug's physical appearence suggested similarities to Gimli, son of Glóin of LoTR fame, but his character was more along a Uncle Fester meets Santa Claus line.

Doug is really quite a decent fellow and always seems genuinely very happy to meet customers who wander into the shop - especially younger players which I suspect Doug's attributes as a grandfather somewhat shines through. Anyway, this is weird as it is sounding rather like a o-bit eulogy which this certainly is not. Altough Doug's main business is not Magic The Gathering, he covers just about everything else under the sun and please forgive me for giving a good guy a plug here on MTG Realm . . .

Gamer's Lair : Unit 2 - 490 Mapleview Drive West
Barrie, Ontario, Canada L4N 6C3, Phone: (705) 728-8100

Hours of Operation
Monday -Thursday - 3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Friday - 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Saturday - 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Gaming Schedule -
Times may be subject to change, visit Gamer's Lair online or call them at 705.728.8100

Collectible Card Games
Yu-Gi-Oh - Friday evenings 6:30 p.m - 8:30 p.m. $8/entry
Pokemon - Saturdays 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. $7/entry
Eve - Saturday afternoons 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. intro play
A Game of Thrones - Only reg’d Sunday tournaments. $8/entry
Chaotic - Wednesday evenings 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. $8/entry

War Gaming
40K (intro) - Saturdays, 3:00 - 7:00 PM
40K - Wednesday evenings, 6:00 - 9:30 PM
Necromunda - Wednesday evenings 6:00 p.m - 9:00 p.m.
Blood Bowl League - Wednesday evenings 6:00 p.m - 9:00 p.m.
Hero Clix - Thursday evenings 6:00 p.m - 9:00 p.m.
Flames of War - Tuesday evenings 6:00 p.m - 9:00 p.m.
Mech Warrior - Thursday evenings 6:00 p.m - 9:00 p.m.
Battle Tech - Wednesday evenings 6:00 p.m - 9:00 p.m.
Warhammer - Monday evenings 6:00 p.m - 9:00 p.m.

No comments: